Monday, November 23, 2009

The Meeting


Bet you want to know how it went... well, maybe I'm more interested in talking about how it went than any of my dear readers are in hearing about it, but, hey, I'm not picky.

So I leave work on Friday with the car all packed from the morning and ready to go. My cruise only takes about an hour and a half, so sweet -I have a feeling that I may be doing this often.

I arrive at the girls' house and they're all there! Hugs and salutations commence and we settle in to chat about the wedding. Turns out that my alcohol-laced memories of Ptown were slightly skewed -I find out that I'm marrying *two* lesbian couples, not one couple. The two that I thought were married are actually the ones that brought the whole thing up. Ah, gotta love it.

So, I admit to being slightly nervous about meeting A, to which I get a look from C -"You have nothing to worry about -she's really easy to get along with. You guys will be just fine!" To which I reply that I probably need to get a six-pack of liquid courage just in case. Off to the liquor store we go, because apparently it would be a good idea for me to have a bottle of tequila down the hatch.

Turning into the drive of said liquor store, it is pointed out to me that A is working, right at that moment, in the store adjacent. Hello, palm sweat.

What do I do? Text her, of course. I get a "Seriously?" from her to which I am tempted to tell her "No, just playing," but I am getting more and more ready to see who I've been talking to. So it's decided that the girls and I will browse for a bit and let her stew.

Purchases are made -no liquor for me, thanks, I'll stop and get some beer- and stashed in the car. We go out front and C points through the window-"That's her."

A smile decides to take residence on my face as I watch A deal with her customers. I like her slightly self-conscious way of movement, the way that she gestures when she's talking to the old man in line, the shrug that radiates from her entire body up, not just her shoulders. I like that she bobs her head ever so slightly when she laughs at something. I realize that the other girls are watching me watching her and redden slightly -I am feeling a bit like a dirty old man. "You did good, C," I say -and you know that my mind is elsewhere if I'm not grammatically correct.

A continues to do her thing while we try to get her attention through the window -no way in hell am I going in there when she's that busy, especially as our first introduction. After what seemed like an eternity, her eyes finally light upon the four dykes outside the window -whom everyone else seemed to notice but her. I like that too, that she isn't constantly scanning her surroundings. We wave and she freezes for a moment, and then ducks, but quickly tries to recover. Too late, lady! I saw that smile... While she has her back turned we quietly slip away, but I do sneak another peek and see that my smile is echoed on her sweet face. And I know that it's going to be a good weekend.

And it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment